Thursday, February 7, 2008

Thankful Thursday



Julie at Another Chance Ranch organizes Thankful Thursday every week, so join in and be sure to check out the other participants, too!



I look forward to Thankful Thursday every week, and today I have TWO Thankfuls to write about! I woke up this morning with one, but by noon I knew I had to write about the second one...

My first Thankful is that I have a son. I love having a daughter, and never imagined I could love having a son as much, but I really do. When I was pregnant with him, I secretly wished for another little bundle of pink. But gosh do I love that boy. He's always making us laugh, and in true male-fashion, getting himself into trouble. Yesterday was a prime example. He spends the night with my mom once a week or so because I substitute teach for the school district. We meet after school halfway between her town and mine, which is a little podunk place with nothing but a mechanic's shop, a restaurant, and a post office. I pulled up to our little meeting place last night around 6:00, and she pulled up directly after me. Typically I see Gavin smiling and waving through the backseat window, excited to come home. Last night I saw him with a very long face, lip stuck completely out. My mom rolled her window down and said "LOOK what he just did to himself!" I noticed that he had taken the shoulder part of the seatbelt and wrapped it twice around his neck. Now his car seat is tethered, so the actual seat belt is never used in my mom's car. He loves to reach over while riding in the car and pull that seatbelt out and let it pop back in. Apparently he did a little more than that yesterday.

I realized immediately that this wasn't something that was going to be easy to take care of. The seatbelt had locked, and it was VERY snug around his neck. It wasn't affecting his breathing or anything, but as soon as he realized he was STUCK, he began to fall apart. He kept trying to move, and anytime he did that the seatbelt pulled tighter around his neck. So there we were. In the middle of nowhere. With a half choking and frantic 3 year old. I called my husband, who didn't answer. I called my dad, who called the dealership because he's friends with the mechanic there. Long story short, we were told to cut the belt. Did I mention this is my mom's 3 week old 2008 Yukon Denali? :( I ran to the mechanic's shop, and he came back with me and freed the boy. Poor Gavin has what looks like strangle marks all over his neck.

So I'm thankful he's okay, of course, and that he keeps us on our toes. Little stinker.

And last but not least, I'm thankful for this gem of a husband that I have. Trust me, he didn't start out that way but I'll save that for another day. He was a little short with me this morning because we were disagreeing about something. He called after he got to work to apologize, but since I am a full fledged stubborn woman, I just tried to keep the little argument going and basically pushed his apology aside. :/ Fast forward 15 minutes, and he knocks at the door. I opened it ready to continue our heated discussion, and he's standing there with his cute little lip out holding one long stemmed rose. What a guy.

9 comments:

Sandy said...

My gosh, Gavin must have been scared! Not to mention your poor mom. Oh yeah, and you! So glad that it turned out all right except for your mom's car, of course.

And your hubby? I can just see him now and he is gonna hate that you wrote this!

Anonymous said...

Awww, this made me giggle;) sympathetically. On both counts.

I have son. A son I wasn't sure I could love when I found out I was having a boy and not another girl. But when I saw his little face, I was a goner. He was a climber and a jumper. He had a permanent bruised-bump on his forehead for the first 4 years of his life. He's much more sensible now that he's 10 yrs old. Boys are scrumptious, aren't they?

My husband is often the peacemaker in our relationship. It only takes one droopy-sad-eye look and I'm all rolling my eyes, completely unable to hold onto any anger. He melts me, lol.

Kim said...

Oh, poor little buddy. I'm guessing he won't reach back and snap the seatbelt...until next week! : )

Alison said...

I am right with you on the little boy love! I did not want a son...I had 4 brothers and am the only girl...I had my fill of testosterone growing up....but I love my little guy to death!! I am so glad I have son...he is great!

Your story frightened me to death...I am so glad he is OK..I think I would have panicked...that is such a freak thing!

Your argument with your husband is nothing!! I do love the fact that he brought you a rose...great guy!!

Alison said...

I have something for you...come on over!!

Unknown said...

I think everyone has a kid story where you can't believe they are still around now. Poot, when he was only 2-3, had the tendency to just walk out the front door, jump on his little Big Wheel, and take off down the street, just because "I needed to go somewhere". And mind you! This was in Las Vegas! After the 2nd time of doing that, I just realized he had an angel over him. Your hubby is sweet.

KTluv said...

OMGosh!!!! I am so glad that he is okay. I don't know if I would have been as calm as you were. Thank goodness you got a hold of your dad!

Sandy said...

Meg - great eye on the Jiffy and so far the coffee is going ok. Of course, that's my opinion. Shorty and Julie might disagree...lol. Lots of tea...lots and lots of tea.

Jill said...

aren't kids fun. that's why i havent had any yet. i'm not mentally stable enough to deal with something like that. yet. ha! and the hubby, mine would so never do that. sigh..