
As I prepare to spend Valentine's Day evening and night ALONE, I am begrudgingly thankful for my husband's job. This job has taken him away from us for COUNTLESS holidays, most weekends, and at least half of all weekday dinners. It has been an enormous source of stress for my husband at times, and has provided plenty of drama in the past 11 years. It resulted in me basically raising my first baby alone, with her at one point calling her daddy and asking if he'd like to come spend the night at her house.
It has also enabled us to buy a beautiful home and furnish it, buy our very first certificate of deposit at our local bank, and save for our childrens' futures. The same boss who has kept my husband away for each of our ten anniversary dates gave us extra cash to pay for every single meal we had to buy while our daughter was in the hospital for ten days last year. That same man that I've cussed and mumbled about gave my husband a full week off each time we had a child, with pay. This job that I sometimes despise enabled me to stay home with my children, attend college, and graduate with my bachelors last year.
So while I may be a teensy bit bitter and jealous that all of you are being pampered by your sweethearts this evening, I am thankful for my husband's job. It's hard to see the benefits at times like this, but I know that tomorrow my honey will return with a little special something for me and we'll celebrate Valentine's Day together, even if it's not on Valentine's Day.

7 comments:
its all about love, anyway. we are doing very simple stuff because we're broke, but that's okay. lets put it this way, we're not GOING to spend a bunch of money on it. i'd rather have my honey help me cook dinner than spend a bunch of money on a night out.. things change, sometimes from day to day. i'm glad you are at piece with it..
dear god i spelled peace wrong. forgive me. ack!
I know what you mean. If it weren't for the company itself, the job would be even harder to take. The people make ALL the difference.
Happy St. Valentine's Day, Meg, to all y'all.
Happy Valentine's Day girl!
Meg, I am with you my friend...my husband is out of town on business also...too bad we didn't know earlier..we could have taken each other out to dinner!!!
Will you be my Valentine this year?
That's the right attitude, be thankful for a man who works! Hope you have a great weekend. Jennifer
I've missed you...so I tag, you're it! Come on over to my place!
Post a Comment