She spent the night there recently, and the evening started out as Laken got to choose where they were to dine. Pei Wei, of course. Mom would have suggested we go home and make sandwiches. MeMaw tells Laken that it's her night, and her choice.
Pei Wei is within walking distance of Justice, and what 9 year old girl doesn't love Justice? Mom would have told Laken that Christmas had just passed, and that she needed nothing. MeMaw says "Let's head on over and see what we need!"
After the shopping spree, they went back to MeMaw's house where Laken requested a huge bubble bath. Mom uses bubble bath sparingly (Hey, what can I say? We're on a budget here!) and MeMaw lets her use the whole bottle, as well as a whole can of foam soap. Mom would make Laken wash her hair and rinse it well. MeMaw just lets her play in the bubbles till she's a wrinkled prune. Mom would knock on the door and tell her that was enough hot water and to turn it off...and to hurry because we need to get to reading her A.R. book. MeMaw takes her up a hot cup of tea to sip while soaking in the tub, and asks her if she wants an ice cube in it.
The next morning, Laken got to choose what she wanted for breakfast. It's always one of two things at MeMaw's house. Ramen noodles (one of her favorite foods, ugh) or an ice cream sundae. On this particular morning, she chose an ice cream sundae. Mom would have said "NO WAY! Cereal, pancakes, or nothing." MeMaw got out two flavors of ice cream, chocolate syrup, hot fudge, strawberry syrup, chocolate sprinkles, multicolored sprinkles, and whipped cream. Oh, and as many cherries as Laken wants. She chose 6.
I called right as Laken was digging into her sundae. I reprimanded my mom a little, as I always do about the sugary sweet breakfast choice, and her response? "When she's grown, what will she remember? Yes, she'll remember ice cream sundae breakfasts at MeMaw's."
And she's right.

6 comments:
I want to visit MeMaw! A bubble bath and tea sound heavenly to me right now.
I want to visit MeMaw too. I'll take the sundae breakfast though!!! lol That is such a sweet story. Skylar has the same relationship with my Mom. Used to drive me crazy when she started talking because she called her Mama. I know exactly how you felt! It is good for them though. Skylar still treasures her Friday night sleepovers.
I try very hard not to spoil Julie's lil man too much but sometimes you just have to! I did not have any grandparents growing up but I know that Juls and her sister have terrific memories of my mom. That's all I want - for lil man's face to soften when he thinks of me the way hers does when she thinks of my mom.
Thanks for this story, Meg. You and Laken and your mom are all blessed to have each other.
Laken is a very lucky little girl! And your mom is right about her memories!! My parents are the same way...they are definitely not the parents I grew up with!!
Meg, there is no hope for it. Mom spoils the beast horribly..and they both l voe every minute of it. As I am sure you already are, just be thankful she has a grandparent to spoil her.
So, lil man was in the tub yesterday with his helicopter and his motorcyle and whatever else he had when he called me in and very nicely asked if he could please have a cup of cider on the side of the tub like I have coffee and like Laken has tea.
Yeah, he got his spiced cider.
Post a Comment