What happened to the good old days when parents actually VOLUNTEERED to help out at school? I realize that everyone is busy these days. Some parents are working two and three jobs, and others don't have the means to actually get to the school to help out during the day. I realize that things come up, and that people have various reasons for not helping. I'm just sick of hearing them.
Tomorrow begins the annual basketball tournament at my daughter's school. She and her teammates are so excited that none of them are sleeping well tonight, I assure you. The first day of the tournament, the school always holds a little pep rally for them. It's cute and the kids really get a morale boost from it all. A note was sent home on Monday asking the parents of the players to please bring in a little something to put into goody bags for the kids. I called the lady who was heading it all up today and she has gotten...and I kid you not....ZERO response from parents. I was in the kitchen up until 11 pm tonight dipping pretzels into almond bark dyed to match the school's colors. I ran to Walmart and picked up bottled dr. peppers for each of the 35 players. I'm contemplating making some popcorn balls in a minute. And all of this after replacing a toilet and teaching 60 third graders today.
I am not asking for a pat on the back. It's my job to help out when I can, and I always try to feel compassion for those who cannot help out for whatever reason. Tonight I am finding it MUCH easier to help out by working in the kitchen until 11 pm than to feel compassion for the slackers, though.
God, grant me the serenity...

9 comments:
I feel your angst!! I have been party mom for both my kids classes for years...It is only getting worse every year!! You are doing a great job!!
i am seeing little gold stars lining up on your heavenly dance card. buck up! and keep posting. i'm ready to dip some pretzels myself...
You're right Mouse. I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about the situation this morning. I just tend to feel sorry for myself on occasion. ;)
Do I get on my irresponsible parent soapbox Meg? Do you want me to go there? LOL, bah humbug to laziness.
You just proved that there is no "too busy". There is simply unmotivated - can you imagine if your KIDS don't inspire you? YIKEs!
These small gestures mean the world to kids. Yes, we sometimes get too caught up in the bells and whistles, but being involved is key to connecting with your kids.
Sigh...I'm done. Great job Mom!
Get on that soapbox, Kim! We can all bitch and moan together! :)
I realize CJ is not on the team so I didn't get the note (see how nicely I excused myself?) but you can give me a call any time you need help!
LOL Sandy~ I know you would be one of those up till 11 making candy, too! We're a vanishing breed. ;)
Meg,
I did not recieve a note either but as mom said, any time you need help, dont hesitate to call on me.
Thanks, Jules. The note was just for the parents of the players, but I will def be calling you in the future when we need some help at the school! :)
Post a Comment