Monday, December 10, 2007

Fun Monday~ Favorite Ornament




I suppose this is as good of a time to start posting as any. I saw a post as I was reading someone's blog this morning and it made me want to jump right in to this blogging thing. I've been wanting to try my hand at it for awhile, but I'll admit I am a bit intimidated by it all. Oh well...in the spirit of keeping up with the times, here we go...

My tree is covered with special ornaments. We don't buy perfectly uniformed ornaments in a delicately matched pattern. No, our tree is covered with ornaments from Hallmark that mean something to us. My kids each have a set of keepsake ornaments that show the way from their first Christmas through their 6th Christmas (although my son is only on his 4th Christmas this year so his collection is growing), and after that they get to pick their own ornament each year. My only rule is that it reflects on something of the year; either something they have done or something they are in to. But those are not my favorite ornaments.

I also pick an ornament for my husband and I. We have ornaments that say things like "Parents to Be" and "Our First Home Together," which is a cute little house shaped ornament that opens up to hold a copy of our first house key. It's precious, but it isn't my favorite ornament.

I am on a mission to find the perfect 10 Year Anniversary ornament this year for my husband and I, because there have been times that I definitely didn't think we'd make it this far. But I know that won't be my favorite ornament.

My tree is covered with beautiful and special ornaments, but my favorite is the ballerina one that was purchased 2 years ago this week from the Nutcracker Ballet by one of my best friends, Tonya. She and I took our then 7 year old daughters to see the ballet, and Tonya purchased the ornament for us as we were leaving. Two weeks later on Christmas night, she was murdered by her husband.

Ornaments were always special for Tonya, and she decorated her tree much like I do mine. A few hours before her murder, we were talking on the phone about the wonderful Christmas each of us had just had. We got on the subject of our trees, and she told me that she wouldn't trade her little mismatched tree with all of her special ornaments for anything in the world. I couldn't agree more.

My beautiful Nutcracker ornament will always be proudly displayed at the front and center of my Christmas tree.

19 comments:

Sandy said...

Oh, Meg, what a great first blog! You made me cry - but then I am pretty sure you made yourself cry, too!

Great picture of you and Clay for the header.

I always just write in the 'compose' window because I am html illiterate.

Terrific job!

Sandy said...

Much more striking without the pic! Maybe it was just a little too big...lol.

Have fun playing!


PS: I went to Lady K's blog (she is hosting this week's fun monday) to see if she would add you to the list.

Megnificent said...

LOL Sandy! I didn't realize it was on there. I was trying to put it in a small box on the side, along with pics of the kids...but everything was SUPER SIZED! LOL Stop looking at my page while I'm fixing it!!! I'm ashamed! LOL

Kaytabug said...

What a wonderful first post. Welcome to blogging and welcome to Fun Monday!
I love my mismatched tree too. What a beautiful ornament, and a lovely way to honor your beloved friend.
I am so sorry for your loss.

kitten said...

What a beautiful 1st post and a good way to start it. Nice to meet you and looking forward to seeing you more.
I live your ballerina ornament! We don't have a set pattern either except for my cinnamon ornaments.

the rotten correspondent said...

That was a terrific way to start your blogging career. I'm so terribly sorry about your friend. This must be an awfully hard time of year for you.

Mismatched ornaments are the way to go in my book. So much more personal.

Welcome to Fun Monday.

Alix said...

Intense first post, I'm so very sorry about your friend.

I like your ornament and the others you mentioned sound great.

Welcome to Fun Monday

Kaytabug said...

You didn't jump the gun at all! In case Sandy didn't tell you, the theme for Fun Monday changes each week as does the host. We sign up on that weeks hosts post about the FM "assignment" they chose. Oh bother! The easiest way to learn about FM is to go to Robin @ Pensive (she's on my list of participants) and she has a link on one of her sidebars for the "history" of Fun Monday. With so many "newbies" today I might link to that one on my blog.
Not that you started blogging for all the comments but I know when I started I didn't realize I had my settings set to only allow bloggers on blogger to comment on my blog. It leaves so many others unable to comment on your posts. If you need help figuring out how to change it(if you want to) email me or I'm sure Sandy could tell you how as well.

Carrie @carrieloves said...

What a great & sentimental post. I love the nutcracker ballerina.

Anonymous said...

Love it Meg! So glad you're doing this and hope you love it. Beautiful first post.

Kim
www.MomUnscripted.com

Jill said...

you're getting a lot of bloggy love today. how about a little more? welcome to blogging. it represents the best and worst of literature, art, and personal expression. it is what you make of it. it sounds like you have a lot of fodder for great blogging already. what an interesting life in that little blip. a friend with the same age child who loved you enough to buy you an ornament and then she is tragically gone. i can't imagine what else you have in store. come visit the mouse house any time.

Mrs. Darling said...

What a great post.

Welcome to blogging. Im on my 6th year of blogging but only my first time of doing Fun Monday.

Come on over and check it out. Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

Beautiful post. I love your ballerina.

So sorry about your friend. I bet you miss her bunches. What a nice way to remember her.

Welcome to blogging and Fun Monday. You're going to love it.

Tiggerlane said...

You should definitely stick with blogging - you have stories to tell!

And sorry to hear about your friend - this ornament must also remind you of that special time with her. It is very beautiful.

Jo Beaufoix said...

This is a great first post, and a fab Fun Monday. I'm so sorry you lost your friend that way, but this is a really lovely way to remember her.
And I love your traditions with your kids ornaments. Our tree is also mismatched, and a bit wonky, but my girls love it.

willowtree said...

Welcome to the blogoshpere and to Fun Monday. Don't feel intimidated, no-one knows what the heck they're doing.

Sauntering Soul said...

Hi and welcome to blogging and Fun Monday!

This post was a beautiful tribute to your friend. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of her.

The blog world is wonderful. It's shocking how good of friends you can become with people you've never met in "real" life.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Monday and the Blogosphere. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. That's tragic. It's wonderful you can remember her on your tree.

Alison said...

As a new blogger and FM participant...welcome aboard. I can't wait to read your next post.